In 1943, the Manitoba Medical Service was established by Manitoba physicians as a not-for-profit Corporation to provide equitable access to health services for Manitobans of all income levels.
With the introduction of universal Medicare in 1969, it was unnecessary for the Manitoba Medical Service to continue to offer non-profit medical coverage. At dissolution, instead of the individual physicians dividing the residual subscription income, the remaining $200,000.00 was donated to the newly incorporated Manitoba Medical Service Foundation.
The first meeting of the MMSF was held October 24, 1971. The founding directors were Leslie H. Butterworth, Dr. Norman Irwin Corne, Dr. John Carlton MacMaster, Hugh H. MaWhinney, Morris Neaman, Allen Rouse, Dr. Otto Arnold Schmidt, Bruce D. Sutherland and Dr. Laurence John Stephen.
By 1973, the Foundation had determined that its focus should be health research. This same year, the United Health Services (Manitoba Blue Cross) contributed $145,067.00 which was the investment income for the year. Many diverse projects were initially funded including the establishment of a peripheral vascular disease registry and financing the development of rural satellite centres of the Manitoba Cancer Research and Treatment Foundation.
The present mission of the MMSF is to promote and fund scientific, educational and other activities to improve the health and well-being of Manitobans focusing on support of new researchers.
Continue reading the next page: Board of Directors