This award is named in honor of Mr. Allen Rouse, one of the founding members of the MMSF.
Mr. Rouse worked diligently to lead and serve the Foundation for the benefit of all Manitobans. Before retiring he served the MMSF as a volunteer Board Member for 41 years with 36 of those years as its respected Chair. His guidance, leadership, and dedication to volunteerism carried the Foundation forward from inception in 1971 into the 21st Century.
The annual amount of salary support was increased in 2021 from $50,000 to $55,000* annually.* To date the MMSF has provided support for this award totaling $1,342,500.
- The award is given for a period of 3 years during which the MMSF will contribute $55,000* per year towards the salary (including benefits) of the awardee. A one-year term grant-in-aid to the appointee of up to $20,000 may be made during the first year of the appointment.
- Candidates must have a faculty appointment at the University of Manitoba and must be engaged in basic research related to the health field. During the tenure of the award, the awardee must guarantee a 75% time commitment to research.
- To be successful in this competition, a candidate must be judged to be in the early stages of a productive research career. The candidate should have been engaged in independent research for not more than 7 years, should have received one or more grants from a national granting agency, such as the Canadian Institute of Health Research, and should have a satisfactory publication record in peer reviewed journals. This judgment will also include a review of the candidate’s training qualifications and experience, and the support of letters of reference. A candidate will also be judged on clarity and communications of both a written research submission and a brief presentation and response to questions with the Award review panel.
- The intent of the award is to support the awardee to become a strong candidate for a senior national personal research award and for the general benefit of health research in Manitoba.
- An awardee is not eligible for the MMSF Allen Rouse Basic Science Career Development Research Award for a second 3-year term.
- The award cannot be held concurrently with another personal career award.
- An awardee who receives the MMSF Allen Rouse Basic Science Career Development Research Award is not eligible for other MMSF Salary awards.
*The salary increases from $50,000 to $55,000 per year becomes effective with the commencement of new appointments awarded after April 15, 2021. The salary increase does not apply to ongoing career awards appointed prior to April 15, 2021.